Tuesday 17 February 2015

He FIXED the MATCH she fixed him

From the book blurb
Shreya – I'm a highly qualified Delhi girl earning an enviable salary. My parents are having a tough time finding a suitable groom for me. However, recently they have a proposal from this very interesting guy from Mumbai. I almost get mesmerised when he starts talking to me. I think I like him very much.

Kunal – I'm owner of a textile company in Mumbai. My Mom wants me to get married. Again. She has recently suggested a suitable girl from Delhi. What my Mom doesn't know is that I've met Shreya before once in my life and I've been looking for her ever since. I have a vendetta to settle.

The author takes you along on a journey via roads of revenge, agony, remorse, attraction, titillation, tantalization and romance. Do Shreya and Kunal make it, or do they fall prey to their past?


Author
Shikha Kumar has a B - Tech degree in computer science from Bharati Vidyapeeth, Delhi. Professionally, she is a manager with Tata consultancy services. She has traveled to and worked in different countries. She enjoys traveling, reading, writing and watching movies. This is her first attempt to present her writing abilities to the world.


What I think
The cover page is catchy. It has the sketch of well-dressed couple facing opposite directions in a romantic atmosphere. This suggests that the book is about love-hate relationship. The book blurb is crisp and gives a fair idea about what can be expected from the book.

The book begins by presenting a typical scenario in a family with an unmarried daughter. There are discussions about finding a right match for her, her protests and anger. It also describes how her heart melts. The mystery of their past lives makes us anxious.

I loved the fact that Shreya is not typecast and is shown as modern day’s woman who is passionate about her profession and earns at par/more than many men of her age. Her family has a broader outlook too. At the same time, they carry the age-old concerns relating to their daughter’s marriage who is in her late twenties.

Love can make you do stupid things and can make you go crazy. This idea becomes the thread until they get married. However, their lives turns upside down after that. There are several dialogs and it feels like you are watching a television serial!

In movie terms, first half is interesting and second half becomes redundant.


But...
The title is long and misleading. May be because it is World Cup time. I almost thought that this is a story about cricket, match-fixing, love in that backdrop and blah-blah.

The narrative is too elaborate and many times I felt like it is over-explained.

A story becomes predictable and boring. Umpteen dialogs and narrative looks more like a movie script than a book.


Should you read it?
It carries a Mills & Boons kind of charm. I think I am too old for it.
You might not be!


Rating
2.5/5


Thank you
This review is written as a part of Book Review program hosted by The Tales Pensive

4 comments:

  1. the market is flooded with such books these days :)

    Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review, Satya :) The title arises interest. But, your review is an eye opener...

    ReplyDelete