Thursday 29 February 2024

Books and People

I read -
So that I know I am not alone.
I also read -
Because I want to be left alone.
Sometimes I read -
Only to realise there are other people who are alone.
Then i read -
To understand how to be alone.

Beauty is -
Everytime I read,
I am not alone.
I meet people. 
I get to know them.
Some make me happy. 
Some make me laugh.
Some make me cry.
Some are forgettable too. 
Some relatable.
Some boring.
Some perfect.

And these people -
They make make me feel good.
They teach me empathy.
They cradle me with their presence.
They promise to be with me forever.
So I store these people safely between the pages of the books they belong to.
These books are their homes, afterall.
Always welcoming and warm -
With a room earmarked in my name!

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed the use of figurative language in the poem to compare people and books based on their traits

    ReplyDelete